…a.k.a. MY 100th POST!!!
Before I enlighten you all with some wisdom for the ages, I just wanted to say thank you to ALL OF YOU (yeah, you!) for supporting, reading, commenting, offering advice, helping out and ultimately, making it possible for me to get to 100 posts. Thank y’all so much – here’s to another 100!
Life lessons learned this weekend…
(1) Better to eat your fruits and veggies BEFORE a cabin weekend, because unfortunately, beer doesn’t count as a serving of grains, Cheetos are of no calcium or dairy value and Twizzlers (although cherry-flavored), make no dent for your RDA of fruits.
(2) Small town Minnesota just isn’t given the credit it deserves. I mean, where else would you find a Swedish tea kettle water tower emblazoned with, “Valkommen lill Lindstrom”?
(3) During a dive bar pub crawl, it’s best to stop taking pictures after beer #3. That way, you still look fresh and fabulous in all your pictures (even if you don’t feel like that the next day).
You see, now didn’t we look fabulous all evening? 😉
(4) There is one exception to rule #3: even if you are past (or well-past) beer #3, singing karaoke at The Thirsty Otter bar for Michael Jackson tribute night ALWAYS requires a picture – even if you look completely drunk doing it. I learned this one the hard way. There is no picture on my camera of Megan & I’s stunning rendition of “The Way You Make Me Feel” :(.
(5) Boat snacks do not have to include junk food; they can actually be rather healthy.
(6) Even though it’s the cabin, I still need to try and look in a mirror once or twice.
(7) To each his own. Just because someone says they love pineapple wine and bought 8 bottles of it from Hawaii, that doesn’t mean you will like pineapple wine (which I didn’t, for the record).
(8) And most disappointingly, charge your camera BEFORE going away for a cabin weekend. Otherwise, the world misses out on the crab/lobster/scallop feast of Saturday night followed by gourmet salads and an array of desserts, including Banana Cream Cheesecake, Chocolate Molten Cake and Apple Cherry Crisp, and ending with a ginormous food baby. I’m am so sorry there is no pic – but trust me, it was completely delish ;).
Now, it’s back to reality. Of course, I didn’t eat the best these past two days (lots of unhealthy food went unphotographed) but ya know what? That’s what the cabin is for. No guilt, just back the norm routine. After a breakfast of cereal, blueberries + skim milk and a Subway veggie sammie lunch with Grandpa, this lady has a crapload to do. However, I did make sure to make a TJ’s run on my way home. This one’s for you Miss Jenny – look at my new Trader Joe’s find!
Peanuts, berries (dried strawberries & raspberries to be exact) and almonds – it’s like a PB+AB+J sammie! Does it get any better than that? Review to come on this pronto, I promise! TJ’s also had a 2 lb. container of blueberries for $5.49 – SCORE! It’s going to be a berry-licious week (worst corny joke ever, I know).
This afternoon, I just had to try my new AB+PB+J mix I picked up at TJ’s so I poured me a nice 1/4 cup serving…
The verdict? YUM, YUM, YUM! The dried berry combo added to the peanuts & almonds was addicting, as in this could be my new go-to crack snack. I HIGHLY recommend you go out and buy this gem of a trail mix. There are no added oils in the mix, and it is sweetened with evaporated cane juice ~ TJ’s, you are a genius.
Dindin was a junk salad…
1/4 cup carrots
drizzle EVOO + honey
I swear, junk salads are best – just throw in whatever you have and enjoy!
Then it was running time. The run was fine – I ran a little less than 7 miles in just over an hour. But I do have to say, it is an absolutely gorgeous night out, which always makes running easier. When I got home, I knew it was time to try my new box of Banana Nut Cheerios. With a healthy splash of vanilla almond milk…
The verdict on these babies? Do you love banana nut muffins? Because if so, you will LOVE these as I did. They have the perfect amount of banana nut flavor and almost felt more like a dessert than a bowl of cereal. I devoured them in about 3 minutes flat. Let’s take a closer look however…
– 25% RDA iron/50% RDA folic acid (per serving)
– Flavored with banana puree (not fake banana flava)
– 2nd ingredient is sugar
– Corn syrup is one of the ingredients
Overall, I think I would buy these every once in awhile. I wouldn’t make it my go-to cereal, because with 1 gram protein/1 gram fiber, I don’t think it will hold me over for very long. However, for a late night snack, afternoon munchies or topping perhaps on yogurt, these babies are delish!
Sunday’s to-do list:
- Run 7 miles (found out my long run is actually 7 – not 9 – miles this week!)
- Clean room
- Job applications
- Make a veggie-ful dinner
- Catch up on blog reading/blog dinner
Now off to finish my to-do list…gotta fold laundry, finish some job apps and finish catching up on blogs!
What was the highlight of your weekend? Mine was definitely the dive bar pub crawl of Friday night – karaoke + Michael Jackson tribute night + family fun at the bar = A GOOD TIME.
Don’t forget to click here and enter for the chance to win a free box of the new Banana Nut Cheerios…I know y’all love free stuff (because I do) so get clickin’ now! You have until 8am tomorrow CST when the winner is announced!